- An inspiration and a guiding force: John A. Hoyt has led the HSUS to an unrivaled position of preeminance (Paul G. Irwin)
- Animals triumph in five states
- Who is the best "First"?
- Celebrating the Humane Spirit: HSUS honors John A. Hoyt, Maurice F. Strong
- A narrow escape for dolphins: friends in Congress save dolphin-safe label (Wayne Pacelle)
- The Olympics' bumpy ride: falls and injuries plague equestrian event (Marc Paulhus)
- Many hands help Fort Peck (Melissa Seide Rubin)
- Navajo Nation saga (Martha C. Armstrong)
- Pitting animals against animals: law enforcement official and animal protectionists seek to quell illegal cockfighting and dogfighting (Eric Sakach and Ken Johnson)
- HSI Kenya: Maasai's dilemma (Meitamei Ole Dapash)
- An advocate for the Maasai
- HSI Latin America: iguanas' sad state (Teresa Telecky, Ph.D.)
- Iguanas: social yet vulnerable
- HSI South Africa: kinder, gentler elephant control (Allen Rutberg, Ph.D.)
- HSI Mexico: "no more violence!"
- A global threat (Jan A. Hartke)
- The greening of the corporation (John A. Hoyt)
- Solar power helps animals in India (Jan A. Hartke)
- Trouble brewing in Prairie Dog Town (Susan Hagood)
- Extending protective rights (John F. Kullberg, Ed.D.)
"HSUS NEWS Volume 42, Number 01" (1997). [1989 - 1999] HSUS News. 27.